As the temperature begins to cool in Sugar Hill, Georgia, you may be concerned about your upcoming heating bills. You can get a clearer insight into your heating costs by finding out the Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) rating of your furnace. Regardless of brand, model, or size, every furnace in the country is assigned an AFUE rating, which indicates its energy efficiency. The following are three things you need to know about AFUE ratings:

Minimum AFUE Ratings May Vary Depending on Region

To encourage energy efficiency, the Department of Energy imposed minimum AFUE ratings for furnaces in different regions. All furnaces in the northern region are required to have an AFUE rating of at least 90 percent, while those in the southern and southwestern regions must have a minimum rating of 80 percent. Since Georgia is located in the southern region, the minimum requirement in the state is 80 percent. However, most new furnaces have an AFUE rating of 90 percent or above, with some reaching as high as 98 percent.

AFUE Represents the Amount of Energy Used to Produce Heat

An AFUE rating represents the percentage of the total energy consumption of a furnace that’s converted to useful heat over the course of a year. If your furnace has an AFUE rating of 80 percent, it means that it’s capable of turning 80 percent of the fuel energy it consumes into heat. The other 20 percent is lost to inefficient burners, chimney, or elsewhere.

Consider the AFUE Rating When Buying a New Furnace

If your furnace is way past its prime, consider getting a new furnace with a high AFUE rating. A high-efficiency furnace usually comes with a higher price tag, but its lower operating cost enables it to pay for itself in just a few years. It’s definitely worth the extra cost.

If you want to learn more about AFUE ratings or install a furnace with a high AFUE rating, contact Pruitt Heating & Air, Inc. at 770-450-6001.

Image provided by Shutterstock

Pin It on Pinterest

Compliance Settings
Increase Font Size
Simplified Font
Underline Links
Highlight Links